FREE BOOKS

Author's List




PREV.   NEXT  
|<   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71  
72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   >>  
eshequin six miles below Tioga point in 1772, and removed about that date six miles north, and founded a new town, afterward known as Queen Esther's town; this was afterward destroyed by Col. Hartley in 1778, when she probably removed to Chemung. She had a sister Mary, and one son, who lost his life a short time previous to the massacre of Wyoming, which was probably the exciting cause of her fury at that place. She afterward settled on the point south of Union Springs, in Cayuga County, and died there of old age. CATHARINE MONTOUR was young enough to be the grand daughter of Madame Montour. At the time of Sullivan's campaign and for some years previous she had resided at her village near present Havana. She had two sons, Roland and John, and a daughter Belle. Her sons were conspicuous characters at Cherry Valley, Wyoming and in Sullivan's campaign, where John was wounded in the battle of Newtown. Roland married the daughter of Siangorochti, the chief sachem of the Senecas; both sons were known as captains in the many Indian raids against the border settlements. Catharine's reputed husband was Edward Pollard, a sutler at Fort Niagara, who was also the father of the famous Seneca warrior, Captain Pollard, by another Indian wife. There was at this time another Capt. John Montour near Fort Pitt, who accompanied Colonel Brodhead in his expedition up the Allegany, who was loyal to the American cause throughout the war. In this expedition of Col. Brodhead, the husband of Belle Montour was killed. [79] PEACH ORCHARD, a small Indian town, was destroyed here, August 3d, on the point, called Apple-tree town in Nukerck's Journal. Jenkins says "the army encamped about 4 in the afternoon near a small Indian settlement," &c. [80] CONDAWHAW.--An Indian town occupied in 1779, located on the east side of Seneca Lake on the present site of North Hector, was so called in 1778 by Luke Swetland, who passed through it while on his way to Kendaia. It was burned by the army Sept. 4, 1779. It is called Apple Town in William Barton's Journal. [81] KENDAIA, a town containing about twenty houses, located on lot 79 Romulus, on the east side of Seneca lake, on land now owned by Edward Van Vliet. It was about half a mile from the lake, on both sides of a small stream. Luke Swetland resided here for a year as a prisoner, until rescued by the army. Several journals give interesting accounts of this town, and especially of the Indian tombs, whi
PREV.   NEXT  
|<   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71  
72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   >>  



Top keywords:

Indian

 

Seneca

 

called

 

daughter

 

Montour

 
afterward
 

Sullivan

 

expedition

 

Brodhead

 

campaign


removed
 

Swetland

 

Roland

 

present

 

resided

 

located

 

Journal

 
Edward
 

previous

 

Pollard


destroyed

 

husband

 

Wyoming

 

killed

 

ORCHARD

 

August

 
Jenkins
 
American
 

Nukerck

 
encamped

CONDAWHAW

 

afternoon

 

settlement

 
occupied
 

stream

 

prisoner

 

accounts

 

interesting

 
rescued
 

Several


journals

 

Romulus

 

Kendaia

 

burned

 

Hector

 

passed

 
Allegany
 
twenty
 

houses

 

KENDAIA