FREE BOOKS

Author's List




PREV.   NEXT  
|<   370   371   372   373   374   375   376   377   378   379   380   381   382   383   384   385   386   387   388   389   390   391   392   393   394  
395   396   397   398   399   400   401   402   403   404   405   406   407   408   409   410   411   412   413   414   415   416   417   418   419   >>   >|  
l was again rebuilt in the form so well known to the present generation. The rapidity with which this was accomplished was so startling that the record inscribed on the last late affixed to the roof is worth quoting, as well on account of its being somewhat of a novel innovation upon the usual custom of foundation-stone memorial stone, and first-stone laying and fixing:-- "Memoranda. On the 30th day of July, 1819, the first stone of this building was laid by the Rev. John Angell James, the minister. On the 30th day of October, in the same year, this the last slate was laid by Henry Leneve Holland, the builder, in the presence of Stedman Thomas Whitwell, the Architect.--_Laus Deo_." In 1875-76 the chapel was enlarged, refronted, and in many ways strengthened and improved, at a cost of nearly L5,000, and it now has seats for 2,250 persons.--Ebenezer Chapel, Steelhouse Lane, which will seat 1,200, was opened Dec. 9, 1818. Its first pastor, the Rev. Jehoida Brewer, was the first to be buried there.--The first stone of Highbury Chapel, which seats 1,300, was laid May 1, 1844, and it was opened by Dr. Raffles in the following October.--Palmer Street Chapel was erected in 1845.--The first stone of the Congregational Church in Francis Road was laid Sept. 11, 1855, the opening taking place Oct. 8, 1856.--The first stone of the Moseley Road building was laid July 30, 1861, and of that in the Lozells, March 17, 1862.--The chapel at Small Heath was commenced Sept. 19, 1867, and opened June 21, 1868; that at Saltley was began June 30, 1868, and opened Jan. 26, 1869.--The chapel in Park Road, Aston, was began Oct. 7, 1873; the church on Soho Hill, which cost L15,000, was commenced April 9, 1878, and opened July 16, 1879.--The memorial-stones of the church at Sutton Coldfield, which cost L5,500, and will seat 640, were laid July 14, 1879, the opening taking place April 5, 1880; the Westminster Road (Birchfield) Church was commenced Oct. 21, 1878, was opened Sept. 23, 1879, cost L5,500, and will seat 900; both of these buildings have spires 100ft. high.--The foundation-stone of a chapel at Solihull, to accommodate 420, was laid May 23, 1883.--Besides the above, there is the Tabernacle Chapel, Parade, chapels in Bordesley Street, Gooch Street, and St. Andrew's Road, and others at Acock's Green, Erdington, Handsworth, Olton, Yardley, &c. _Disciples of Christ_ erected a chapel in Charles Henry Street in 1864; in Geach
PREV.   NEXT  
|<   370   371   372   373   374   375   376   377   378   379   380   381   382   383   384   385   386   387   388   389   390   391   392   393   394  
395   396   397   398   399   400   401   402   403   404   405   406   407   408   409   410   411   412   413   414   415   416   417   418   419   >>   >|  



Top keywords:

opened

 

chapel

 
Chapel
 

Street

 
commenced
 

erected

 

October

 

Church

 

church

 

taking


opening

 
building
 

foundation

 

memorial

 
Moseley
 
Lozells
 
Saltley
 

Bordesley

 

Andrew

 
chapels

Parade
 

Besides

 

Tabernacle

 

Christ

 
Charles
 
Disciples
 

Erdington

 

Handsworth

 

Yardley

 

accommodate


Coldfield
 

Sutton

 

stones

 

Westminster

 

spires

 

Solihull

 

buildings

 

Birchfield

 

Jehoida

 
fixing

Memoranda

 
laying
 
rebuilt
 

custom

 

Angell

 
Leneve
 

Holland

 
builder
 

presence

 
minister