FREE BOOKS

Author's List




PREV.   NEXT  
|<   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102  
103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   >>   >|  
eir heads all to-squashed, some their legs broken, some their arms, some their backs, some their shoulders, some one hurt, some another.[184] [Footnote 184: Philip Stubbes, _The Anatomie of Abuses_ (ed. Furnivall), p. 179.] The building, which the Reverend John Field described as "old and rotten,"[185] was a complete ruin; "not a stick was left so high as the bear was fastened to." The Puritan preachers loudly denounced the unholy spectacles, pointing to the catastrophe as a clear warning from the Almighty; and the city authorities earnestly besought the Privy Council to put an end to such performances. Yet the owners of the building set to work at once, and soon had erected a new house, stronger and larger and more pretentious than before. The Lord Mayor, in some indignation, wrote to the Privy Council on July 3, 1583, that "the scaffolds are new builded, and the multitudes on the Saboth day called together in most excessive number."[186] [Footnote 185: _A Godly Exhortation by Occasion of the Late Judgement of God, Shewed at Paris-Garden_ (London, 1583). Another account of the disaster may be found in Vaughan's _Golden Grove_ (1600).] [Footnote 186: The Malone Society's _Collections_, I, 65.] The New Bear Garden, octagonal in form, was probably modeled after the playhouses in Shoreditch, and made in all respects superior to the old amphitheatre which it supplanted.[187] We find that it was reckoned among the sights of the city, and was exhibited to distinguished foreign visitors. For example, when Sir Walter Raleigh undertook to entertain the French Ambassador, he carried him to view the monuments in Westminster Abbey and to see the new Bear Garden. [Footnote 187: What became of the other amphitheatre labeled "The Bull Baiting" I do not know. Stow, in his _Survey_, 1598, says: "Now to return to the west bank, there be two bear gardens, the old and new places, wherein be kept bears, bulls, and other beasts to be baited."] [Illustration: THE BEAR GARDEN From Visscher's _Map of London_, published in 1616, but representing the city as it was several years earlier.] A picture of the building is to be seen in the Hondius _View of London_, 1610 (see page 149), and in the small inset views from the title-pages of Holland's _Her[Greek: o]ologia_, 1620, and Baker's _Chronicle_, 1643 (see page 147), all three of which probably go back to a view of London made between 1587 and 1597, and now lost. Anoth
PREV.   NEXT  
|<   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102  
103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   >>   >|  



Top keywords:

London

 
Footnote
 

Garden

 

building

 

Council

 

amphitheatre

 

Westminster

 

Baiting

 

Survey

 

monuments


labeled

 

sights

 

exhibited

 

distinguished

 

foreign

 

reckoned

 

respects

 

Shoreditch

 

superior

 

supplanted


visitors

 

French

 

entertain

 

Ambassador

 

carried

 

undertook

 

Raleigh

 

Walter

 

Holland

 

Hondius


ologia

 

Chronicle

 
picture
 
places
 

beasts

 

playhouses

 

gardens

 

return

 

baited

 

Illustration


representing

 

earlier

 

published

 

GARDEN

 

Visscher

 

disaster

 

unholy

 

denounced

 

spectacles

 
pointing