FREE BOOKS

Author's List




PREV.   NEXT  
|<   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31  
32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   >>  
s restored in 1226, by Abbot Adulph de Villedieu. His successor, Richard Justin, obtained from the Pope the most distinguished privileges. In 1418 the English made a fruitless attack upon it. In 1423 it was attempted again, with a very considerable force and powerful artillery, two pieces of which now stand at the main gate: one has a stone ball in it of about fifteen inches diameter. Among the distinguished English officers who perished at the siege, was a Chevalier M. Burdet. In 1577 a Protestant chief (Dutouchet) succeeded by stratagem in getting possession of it. After two day's possession, he was obliged to evacuate it. In 1591 a similar attempt proved most destructive to the assailants. In 1594, the spire, the bells, and the church, were considerably injured by lightning. Mount St. Michael was visited in 1518 by Francis I. of France; in 1561, by Charles IX.; in 1576, by the Duchess de Bourbon; in 1624, by the Duke de Nevers, who made a rich present to the abbey; in 1689, by Madame de Levigne, who designated it Le Mont fier et orgueilleux. In 1689, Philip Duke of Orleans, brother to Louis XIV., was one of its visiters. The most remarkable circumstance is the visit paid to it on the 10th of May, 1777, by the Ex-King of France, the Count d'Artois (twenty years old). On inspecting the state-prison, a wooden cage was shown to him. The prince, struck with horror at the sight of it, ordered it to be destroyed. Shortly after, the young princes of Orleans, among whom the present King Philip, accompanied by Madame de Lillery, stopped at Mount St. Michael. After having inspected the subterraneous passages and magazines, the wooden cage was shown to them. They asked for workmen and axes, and giving the first blow themselves, this infernal machine was completely destroyed. The prior of the abbey was formerly governor of the town and castle, and the keys were brought to him every evening. It gives name to the late military order of St. Michael, founded by Louis XI, in 1479. The view from the summit is fine, embracing the coasts of Normandy and Britanny, with the town and ruins of the cathedral of Avranches, elevated on a mountain, and the intervening valley, with the open sea of the British Channel. W.G.C. * * * * * SONNET TO M * * * (_For the Mirror._) Though rough, not lengthened, is our worldly way; Then wipe thy pearly eyes, no more to weep-- Thy f
PREV.   NEXT  
|<   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31  
32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   >>  



Top keywords:
Michael
 

possession

 

wooden

 
destroyed
 

present

 

Madame

 
Philip
 

France

 

Orleans

 
distinguished

English

 

giving

 

workmen

 
magazines
 
governor
 

castle

 

brought

 

passages

 
infernal
 

machine


completely

 

subterraneous

 

struck

 

prince

 

horror

 

ordered

 

prison

 

Villedieu

 

Adulph

 

restored


Lillery

 

accompanied

 
stopped
 

inspected

 

Shortly

 
princes
 

evening

 

Though

 

Mirror

 

lengthened


Channel

 

SONNET

 
worldly
 

pearly

 

British

 
founded
 

summit

 
military
 
embracing
 
mountain