FREE BOOKS

Author's List




PREV.   NEXT  
|<   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70  
71   72   73   74   75   >>  
of the 18th august 1833, the authorisation to establish a public and common slaughterhouse, with apparatus for melting the tallow, scalding house and tripe house, on the fine property, which is situated in the _rue de Sotteville_, at the corner of the _avenue de Grammont_, bought for that purpose from Mr Burel. A public competition was opened at the end of the year 1838 for the plans of this establishment, and the prize was decreed, on the 20th march 1834, to _Mr Etienne-Theodore Dommey_, an architect from Paris. The first stone of this establishment was laid by Mr Hy Barbet, the mayor of Rouen, on the 28th july 1835, in the presence of the civil and military authorities and a large number of spectators. This important establishment, which was built within the period of two years, and which is now completed, is one of the finest of this description. The expences, including the purchase of the ground, amounted to the sum of 970,000 francs, and the annual product is estimated about 80,000 francs. The principal entrance is from the _rue de Sotteville_, a handsome gateway between two gate houses gives a view of the whole building. The total superficies of the buildings is of seven thousand three hundred and thirty seven metres, or about the same number of yards. Spacious streets and avenues planted with trees permit of a free access to all parts of the establishment. It is well supplied with water, and has a canal to carry off the dirty water of the establishment, which allows its being kept very clean. To visit the slaughterhouse, apply to the secretary general's office at the town hall. ROYAL COLLEGE, _Rue du Grand-Maulevrier._ The entrance court, is almost square, and surrounded on the four sides by buildings of a regular architecture. This portion formed the ancient college of the Jesuits. At a short distance to the north, and on a raised portion of ground, stands a large building formerly called the _Joyeuse seminary_, from the name of its founder, the cardinal de Joyeuse. These two establishments have now been united. That part, named _Joyeuse_, is exclusively reserved for the youngest children: they have their separate play ground, which is formed of the terraces of the garden. The courts, which are alloted to the other classes, are situated lower than the former. The college contains about two hundred boarders and five hundred day scholars. The college church particularly deserves to be menti
PREV.   NEXT  
|<   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70  
71   72   73   74   75   >>  



Top keywords:

establishment

 

Joyeuse

 
college
 

ground

 

hundred

 

buildings

 

building

 
entrance
 

francs

 

number


portion

 

formed

 

Sotteville

 
situated
 
public
 

slaughterhouse

 

office

 
general
 

scholars

 

secretary


Maulevrier
 

boarders

 
COLLEGE
 

supplied

 

access

 

church

 

terraces

 

deserves

 

square

 
classes

founder

 

cardinal

 

seminary

 
called
 

establishments

 
exclusively
 
alloted
 

children

 

reserved

 
united

stands

 
regular
 
architecture
 

garden

 

surrounded

 

separate

 

distance

 
raised
 
Jesuits
 

courts