FREE BOOKS

Author's List




PREV.   NEXT  
|<   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42  
43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   >>   >|  
Ely, which was styled "_The Royal Franchise or Liberty of the Bishops of Ely_." On the conversion of the abbacy into a bishopric A.D. 1109, a division of the property and revenues took place, and the bishop took care to protect his own interests and those of his successors, but the charge and repairs of the church and monastery fell to the share of the prior and monks, the bishop retaining a certain jurisdiction over them. The County of Cambridge, with the exception of a few parishes, was transferred from the See of Lincoln to the new See of Ely, and the Manor of Spaldwick, in the County of Huntingdon, was given to the Bishop of Lincoln in compensation. The See now comprises the Counties of Cambridge, Huntingdon, and Bedford, and the western division of the County of Suffolk, comprised in the Archdeaconry of Sudbury. It is divided into four Archdeaconries, which are subdivided into thirty-three Rural Deaneries, except the Isle of Ely, which is under the peculiar Archidiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop, and is divided into two Rural Deaneries. There are five hundred and fifty-four benefices in the diocese. The population of the whole is about 500,000; and the area in acres is 1,357,756. The Bishop has patronage to a considerable extent; he appoints to the Chancellorship, to the Registrarship, to the four Archdeaconries, the Rural Deaneries, to four Canonries in the Cathedral, and several Honorary Canonries; to the Mastership and one Fellowship of Jesus College, to one Fellowship at St. John's College, to the Mastership of St. Peter's College, and is Visitor of four Colleges, in Cambridge, and of several schools; and has about fifty livings in his gift. * * * * * _Arms of the See_--Gu. three ducal coronets or. These are derived from the arms of the East Anglian kings. * * * * * The following list of the Bishops, to which is prefixed the succession of Abbesses and Abbots, is derived chiefly from Mr. Bentham's _History and Antiquities of Ely Cathedral_. ABBESSES. A.D. 673. St. Etheldreda. Foundress, and first Abbess. 679. St. Sexburga. 699. St. Erminilda. ? St. Werburga. ABBOTS. A.D. 970. Brithnoth. First Abbot. 981. Elsin. 1016. Leofwin, or Oschitel. 1022. Leofric. 1029. Leofsin. 1045. Wilfric. 1066. Thurstan. Last Saxon Abbot. 1072. Theodwin. A monk of Jumieges. 1075. [Godfrey, Adminis
PREV.   NEXT  
|<   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42  
43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   >>   >|  



Top keywords:
Cambridge
 

College

 

County

 

Bishop

 

Deaneries

 
divided
 
Lincoln
 

jurisdiction

 
Archdeaconries
 

derived


Huntingdon

 

division

 
Fellowship
 

Bishops

 
Canonries
 

Cathedral

 
bishop
 
Mastership
 

prefixed

 

Anglian


Visitor

 

succession

 

Colleges

 

Honorary

 

schools

 

livings

 

coronets

 

Etheldreda

 

Leofsin

 

Wilfric


Leofric

 
Leofwin
 

Oschitel

 

Thurstan

 

Jumieges

 
Godfrey
 

Adminis

 
Theodwin
 

Antiquities

 
ABBESSES

Registrarship
 

History

 
Bentham
 
Abbots
 

chiefly

 

Foundress

 
Werburga
 

ABBOTS

 
Brithnoth
 

Erminilda