FREE BOOKS

Author's List




PREV.   NEXT  
|<   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59  
60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   >>   >|  
rated at New York a Bishop of the Reformed Episcopal Church. ~Birmingham~ (~Little~).--In a record of the early date of 1313 there is mention of a place called Little Birmingham (parvam Birmingham), as being in the hundreds of North and South Erpyngham, Norfolk. ~Birmingham in the Future.~--It has been proposed that the Borough should be extended so as to include the Local Board districts of Harborne and Handsworth, Balsall Heath, Moseley, King's Heath, part of King's Norton parish, the whole of Yardley and Acock's Green, part of Northfield parish, all Aston Manor, Saltley, Witton, Little Bromwich, and Erdington, covering an area of about 32,000 acres, with a present population of over half a million. ~Blind Asylum.~--See "_Philanthropic Institutions_." ~Blondin~ made his first appearance at Aston Park, June 8, 1861; at the Birmingham Concert Hall, December, 1869, and March, 1870; at the Reservoir September, 1873, and September, 1878. Mrs. Powell, who was known as the "Female Blondin," was killed at a fete in Aston Park, July 20, 1868, by falling from the high rope. ~Bloomsbury Institute.~--Opened in 1860. The memorial stones of the lecture-hall in Bloomsbury Street were laid August 6, 1877, the L750 cost being given by Mr. David Smith. Seats 500. ~Blue Coat School.~--See "_Schools_." ~Blues.~--The United Society of True Blues was founded in 1805 by a number of old Blue Coat boys (formerly known as "The Grateful Society") who joined in raising an annual subscription for the School. ~Board Schools.~--See "_School Board_." ~Boatmen's Hall,~ erected on Worcester Wharf, by Miss Ryland, was opened March 17, 1879. ~Bonded Warehouses.~--Our Chamber of Commerce memoralised the Lords of the Treasury for the extension of the bonded warehouse system to this town, in December, 1858, but it was several years before permission was obtained. ~Books.~--The oldest known Birmingham book is a "Latin Grammar, composed in the English tongue," printed in London in 1652, for Thomas Underhill, its author having been one of the masters of our Free School. ~Book Club (The).~--Commenced some few years previous to 1775, at which time its meetings were held in Poet Freeth's, Leicester Arms, Bell-street. As its name implies, the club was formed for the purchase and circulation among the members of new or choice books, which were sold at the annual dinner, hence the poet's hint in one of his invitations to these meetings:--
PREV.   NEXT  
|<   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59  
60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   >>   >|  



Top keywords:

Birmingham

 

School

 
Little
 

Blondin

 

meetings

 

parish

 

September

 
December
 

Society

 

annual


Schools

 

Bloomsbury

 

Treasury

 
extension
 
Commerce
 

founded

 

United

 
memoralised
 

bonded

 

Worcester


system
 

warehouse

 
number
 

joined

 

erected

 

raising

 

subscription

 

opened

 

Ryland

 
Grateful

Bonded

 

Chamber

 

Warehouses

 
Boatmen
 

composed

 
street
 
implies
 

formed

 

Freeth

 
Leicester

purchase

 
circulation
 
dinner
 

invitations

 

members

 

choice

 

previous

 
Grammar
 
tongue
 

English