FREE BOOKS

Author's List




PREV.   NEXT  
|<   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99  
100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   >>   >|  
dered to be built in 1176. Twenty-one parishes used to send their lepers to this hospital, and those who could not pay their fees were helped to do so from the parish purse. In 1478 each leper was obliged to bring with him (among other things), a bed with its sheets, all his body-linen and towels, his cooking pots and table ware, and various articles of clothing, besides 62 sous 1 denier for the prior, 5 sous for the servants,[21] and three "hanaps" or drinking vessels, one of silver. Evidently all this was not what a poor patient could often afford, and we find, without surprise, the parish St. John objecting to the rule in case of one Perrecte Deshays, who had been sent there by order of the officials, and could not possibly afford the list of necessaries claimed by the prior. So a compromise was made that for all lepers in the twenty-one parishes who could not give what the rules required, a sum of twenty livres from the parish authorities would be accepted as an equivalent. The treasurers of every parish were bound, in the public safety, to report to the proper town official every case of leprosy within their bounds. This official then took medical advice about the sick person, and if the leprosy was certified ordered the sequestration of the invalid. The acts in which these orders were carried out continue very frequent, even in the first half of the sixteenth century, and especially in the parish of Octeville. The leper was conducted to the hospital with exactly the same ceremony as was used for the interment of the dead, and was followed by all the members of the confrerie to which he belonged, and preceded by a mourner ringing a dirge. One of the statutes of a confrerie ordaining this procession has been preserved (Arch. de la Seine Inferieure, G. 5,238):--"Le seroient tenus convoier jusques a sa malladerie le maistre et varlets portans leurs sourplis et capperons vestus a toult la croix et banniere et clochette, et sy luy feroit l'en semblable service comme a ung trespasse en l'eglise ou il seroit demourant en lad. ville et sy seroit led. varlet tenu crier par les carfours comme pour ung trespasse." [Footnote 21: The complete list has been printed from the archives of Rouen by M. Ch. de Beaurepaire.] Another of these charitable refuges for lepers was built for Rouen by an English king in 1183 at Petit-Quevilly, outside the town on the south side of the Seine. The Hospital of St. Julien was placed by King
PREV.   NEXT  
|<   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99  
100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   >>   >|  



Top keywords:
parish
 

lepers

 

twenty

 
afford
 

trespasse

 

seroit

 

leprosy

 

confrerie

 
official
 
hospital

parishes

 

jusques

 

Inferieure

 

seroient

 

convoier

 

sourplis

 

capperons

 

vestus

 

portans

 
maistre

varlets
 

malladerie

 
members
 

interment

 

ceremony

 

Octeville

 

conducted

 
belonged
 
preceded
 

helped


procession
 

preserved

 

ordaining

 

statutes

 

mourner

 

ringing

 

charitable

 

Another

 

refuges

 

English


Beaurepaire

 

printed

 

archives

 
Hospital
 

Julien

 

Quevilly

 

complete

 

Footnote

 

Twenty

 

eglise